Earth and Planetary Science
EPS Planetary Science

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Do I have to take a GRE subject test?



Q:  I took the GRE and/or TOEFL years ago.  Are my scores still valid?

GRE scores are valid if taken within the last 5 years, and for the TOEFL, 2 years.


Q:  When will I be contacted about a visit?

Not all applicants are invited for a visit.  If you would like to arrange a visit on your own, please contact the professor you’re interested in working with to see if they’re available.


Q:  Should I have transcripts, letters of recommendation, and test scores sent directly to the department or should I send them myself in sealed envelopes?

Neither.  We do not need hard copies of any supplemental materials.  Please don’t send hard copy transcripts; we only need uploads.  Once you’re admitted the Graduate Division of the university will contact you about submitting hard copies.


Q:  What GPA and GRE scores are required to be considered for admission?

The minimum GPA is 3.0 for all coursework completed after the first two years of undergraduate study.  We do not accept or decline admission based on standardized test scores; we review the applicant’s complete profile including research experience, letters of recommendation and academic preparation.  However, satisfying minimal standards does not guarantee admission, since the number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of places available.  As a result, many well-qualified applicants cannot be accommodated.


Q:  Can I apply to be a part-time student?  Does the department offer any online courses?

Our program is a full-time PhD program, and we admit students for the fall semester only.  We do not have a part-time program.


Q:  Do you offer summer courses?  Does the department offer any online courses?

Summer courses are limited and only available at the lower division undergraduate level.  There are no graduate-level courses offered in the department.  During the summer we offer an introductory astronomy class online.


Q:  Do you accept transfer credit from other institutions?