The Zeiss EVO-10 Variable Vacuum SEM is available for general research and can be used for both secondary electron (SE) and backscattered electron (BE) imaging. Qualitative chemical analyses can be performed with a energy-dispersive X-ray detector (EDS). The SEM is also used for electron backscatter pattern (EBSP) and orientation imaging (OIM) as applied to analysis of preferred orientation.
Common Uses: Excellent for imaging surface morphology (texture), crystal structure, orientation and composition of samples in both thin section and free-standing mounts. For scheduling, please contact Tim Teague (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SEM Lab details:
- Zeiss EVO Variable Vacuum Instrument -10
- Tungsten filament
- Large sample chamber with 9 position sample holder.
- Variable pressure capable
- Detectors:Secondary electron; Secondary electron VP; Backscatter electron
- EDAX system for chemical analysis with silicon drift detector and thin window (detects down to Boron).
- Electron Backscatter diffraction (EBSD) for crystal orientation measurement.
- Carbon evaporator
- Gold sputter coater