Douglas S. Dreger
Douglas S. Dreger
Use of waveform data to investigate seismic source, wave propagation, and Earth structure problems including geophysical inverse problems.
EPS207 Monday 10am to 12pm
Group Meeting Tuesday 11:30am to 1:00 pm
EPS130 Tuesday and Thursday 9:30-11:00 am
Monday 2:00-4:00 pm, or by appointment, 281 McCone Hall
Professor Dreger received his Ph.D. in seismology from the California Institute of Technology in 1992. He has been a member of the department since 1996, and an affiliate of the Berkeley Seismological Laboratory since 1992. His research interests are in the areas of seismic wave propagation, earthquake and non-earthquake seismic source processes, and in the development of methods for the reduction of earthquake losses and realtime earthquake monitoring.
Use of waveform data to investigate seismic source, wave propagation, and Earth structure problems including geophysical inverse problems.
Additionally, research is conducted to develop robust automated procedures to analyze earthquakes as they occur and to report strong shaking levels on a local and regional scale.
Current research is focussed on nuclear event discrimination using regional distance moment tensors, investigating anomalous seismic radiation of Mammoth Lakes, CA, events, the development of a regional distance methodology to rapidly determine near-source strong ground motion shaking levels, and investigation of 3D crustal structure affects on ground motions in the greater San Francisco Bay area.
Ph.D. Geophysics, California Institute of Technology, 1992
M.S. Geophysics, California Institute of Technology, 1989
B.S. Geophysics, University of California, Riverside, 1987
Acting Director, Berkeley Seismological Laboratory, Jan. 2007-July 2007.
Associate Director of the Berkeley Seismological Laboratory, 2002-
Professor of Geophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 2008-
Associate Professor of Geophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 2002-2008
Assistant Professor of Geophysics, University of California, Berkeley, 1996 - 2002
Assistant Research Seismologist, University of California, Berkeley, 1993-1996
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, Berkeley, 1992-1993
Seismological Consultant, Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Pasadena, 1990-1993
Staff Geophysicist, Aragon Geotechnical Consultants, Riverside, CA 1985-1987
Associate Editor, JGR, (2002-2004)
Reviewer of manuscripts submitted to BSSA, JGR, GRL, PRL, EPSL
Reviewer of proposals submitted to NSF, DOE, DOD
COSMOS, Board of Directors (2005-)
Golden Gate Bridge Seismic Instrumentation Committee (2006-)
L & S Committee on Committees 2005-2007
Michael Antolik (Ph.D. 1996: Researcher, QTSI)
Janine Weber-Band (Ph.D. 1998, EVI Consulting)
Peggy Johnson (Ph.D. 1997: Researcher, IRIS)
Christiane Stidham (Ph.D. 1999: Lecturer, SUNY)
Laurie Baise (MS 2001: Assistant Professor, Tufts University)
Wu Cheng Chi (Ph.D. 2002, Asst. Research Fellow, Academia Sinica, Taiwan)
David Dolenc (PhD 2006, Lecturer University of Minnesota)
Dennise Templeton (PhD, 2007, Researcher LLNL)
Ahyi Kim (Ph.D. 2009, Researcher Schlumberger)
Sean (Ph.D. 2009, Post-doc Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
Aurelie Guilhem (MS 2006, University of Paris 11 and Ecole Normale Superieure Paris France)
Patrick Statz-Boyer (BS 2008, University of Wisconsin, Madison)
78. Kim, A., D. S. Dreger, and S. Larsen, "Moderate earthquake ground motion validation in the San FranciscoBay Area, in press Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 2009
77. Ford, S. R., D. S. Dreger, and W. R. Walter, Source Analysis of the Memorial Day Explosion, Kimchaek, North Korea, in press Geophys. Res. Lett., 2009GL040003, 2009.
76. Walter, F., D. S.Dreger, J. F. Clinton, N. Deichmann, M. Funk. Publications Evidence for near-horizontal tensile faulting at the base of Gornergletscher, Switzerland. Submitted to the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America.
73. Ford, S. R., D. S. Dreger and W. R. Walter (2009).Network sensitivity solutions for regional moment tensor inversions, to be submitted to BSSA.
80. Rhie, J., and D. Dreger (2009). A simple method for simulating microseism H/V spectral ratio in 3D structure,Geosciences Journal, 4, 401-406, DOI 10.1007/s12303-009-0036-y.
79. Tkalcic, H., D. S. Dreger, G. R. Foulger,and B. R. Julian (2009). The puzzle of the 1996 Bardarbunga, Iceland,Earthquake: No volumetric component in the source mechanism, Bull Seism. Soc.Am., 99, 3077-3085, doi:10.1785/0120080361.
75. Walter, F., J. F. Clinton, N. Deichmann, D. S. Dreger, S. E. Minson, M. Funk. 2009. Moment sensor inversions of ice quakes on Gornergletscher, Switzerland. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 99-2A, doi:10.1785/0120080110.
74. Rhie, J., D. S. Dreger,M . H. Murray, and N. Houlie (2009), Peak ground velocity shake maps from geodetic slip models, Geophys. Journ.Int., doi: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2009.04327.x
72. Aagaard, B. T., T. M. Brocher, D. Dolenc, D. Dreger, R. Graves, S. Harmsen, S. Hartzell, S. Larsen,and M. L. Zoback (2008a), Ground motion modeling of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake, Part I: Validation using the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 98, 989-1011.
71. Aagaard, B. T., T. M.Brocher, D. Dolenc, D. Dreger, R. Graves, S. Harmsen, S. Hartzell, S. Larsen,K. McCandless, S. Nilsson, N. A. Petersson, A. Rodgers, B. Sjogreen, and M. L.Zoback (2008b), Ground motion modeling of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake,Part II: Ground motion estimates for the 1906 earthquake and scenario events, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 98, 1012-1046.
70. Ford, S. R., D. S. Dreger and W. R. Walter (2009).Identifying isotropic events using a regional moment tensor inversion, J. Geophys. Res., 114, B01306, doi:10.1029/2008JB005743.
69. D. S. Dreger, S. R. Ford, and W. R. Walter (2008).Source Analysis of the Crandall Canyon, Utah, Mine Collapse, Science, VOL 321, 217.
68. Ford, S., D. Dreger and W. Walter (2008). Source Characterization of the August 6, 2007 Crandall Canyon MineSeismic Event in Central Utah, Seism. Res. Lett., 79, 637-644.
67. B. A. Bolt, and D. S. Dreger (2006), Nature ofEarthquakes and Seismic Hazards, in Designing for Earthquakes, FEMA Publication454, 392p.
66. Ford. S. R., D. S.Dreger, K. Mayeda, W. R. Walter, L. Malagnini, and W. S. Phillips (2008). Regional Attenuation in Northern California:A Comparison of Five 1D Q Methods, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 98: 2033-2046.
65. Minson, S. and D. Dreger (2008), Stable Inversions for Complete Moment Tensors, Geophys. Journ. Int., 174, 585-592.
64. Minson, S. D. Dreger, R. Burgmann and K. Larsen (2007), Seismically and Geodetically DeterminedNon-Double-Couple Source Mechanisms From the 2000 Miyakejima VolcanicEarthquake Swarm, Journ. Geophys. Res.,112, B10308, doi:10.1029/2006JB004847.
63. Kim, A. and D. Dreger (2008), Rupture Process of the 2004 Parkfield Earthquake from Near-FaultSeismic Waveform and Geodetic Records, Journal of Geophysical Research, 113, B07308, doi:10.1029/2007JB005115.
62. Dreger, D., R. Nadeau and A. Chung (2007), Repeating Earthquake Finite-Source Models: StrongAsperities Revealed on the San Andreas Fault, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L23302, doi:10.1029/2007GL031353.
61. Benetatos, C., D. Dreger, and A. Kiratzi (2007).Complex and segmented rupture associated with the 14 August 2003 Mw 6.2 Lefkada, Ionian Islands, Earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 97, 35-51.
60. Rhie, J., D. Dreger, R. Bürgmann, and B. Romanowicz (2007). Slip of the Sumatra-Andaman earthquake from joint inversion of long-period global seismic waveforms and GPS static offsets, Bull. Seism.Soc. Am., 97, S115-S127.
59. Rolandone, F., D. Dreger, M. Murray, and R.Burgmann (2006). Coseismic slip distribution of the 2003 Mw6.6 San Simeon earthquake, California, determined from GPS measurements and seismic waveform data, Geophys. Res. Lett., 33,L16315, doi:10.1029/2006GL027079.
58. Mayeda, K., L. Malagnini, W. S. Phillips, W.R. Walter, and D. Dreger (2005), 2-D or not 2-D, that is the question: A northern California test, Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L12301,doi:10.1029/2005GL022882.
57. Templeton, D. C., and D. S. Dreger (2006).Non-double-couple earthquake in the Long Valley volcanic region, Bull. Seism.Soc. Am., 96, 69-79.
56. Wang, C. Y., A. Wong,D. S. Dreger, and M. Manga (2006). Liquefaction limit during earthquakes and underground explosions: implications on ground-motion attenuation, Bull. Seism.Soc. Am., 96, 355-363.
55. Dolenc, D., and D. Dreger, Microseisms observations in theSanta Clara Valley, California, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 95(3), 1137-1149,2005.
54. Dolenc, D., D. Dreger, and S. Larsen (2005). Basin structure influences on the propagation of teleseismic waves in the Santa Clara Valley, California, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 95(3),1120-1136, 2005.
53. Dreger, D. S., L. Gee, P. Lombard, M. H. Murray, and B. Romanowicz, Rapid finite-source analysis and near-fault strong ground motions:Application to the 2003 M-w 6.5 San Simeon and 2004 M-w 6.0 Parkfield earthquakes, Seism. Res. Lett., 76(1), 40-48, 2005.
52. Langbein,J., R. Borcherdt, D. Dreger, J. Fletcher, J. L. Hardebeck, M. Hellweg, C. Ji,J. Johnston, J. R. Murray, R. Nadeau, M. J. Rymer, and J. A. treiman,Preliminary report om the 28 September 2004, M 6.0 Parkfield, California earthquake, Seism. Res. Lett., 76(1) 10-26, 2005.
51. Oglesby, D. D., D. S. Dreger, R. A. Harris, N. Ratchkovski, and R. Hansen,Inverse kinematic and forward dynamic models of the 2002 Denali Fault earthquake, Alaska Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 94(B6), 214-233, 2004.
50. Wang C.-Y., M. Manga, D. Dreger, A. Wong (2004), Streamflow increase due to rupturing of hydrothermal reservoirs: Evidence from the 2003San Simeon, California, Earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L10502,doi:10.1029/2004GL020124.
49. Chi W.-C., D. Dreger (2004), Crustal deformation in Taiwan: Results from finite source inversions of six M w > 5.8 Chi-Chi aftershocks, J. Geophys. Res., 109, B07305, doi:10.1029/2003JB002606.
48. Roumelioti, Z., A. Kiratzi and D. Dreger (2004). The source process of the 2001July 26 Skyros Island (Greece) earthquake, GeophysicalJournal International, vol.156, no.3, pp.541-548.
47. Hardebeck, J. L., J. Boatwright, D. Dreger, R. Goel, V. Graizer, K. Hudnut, C.Ji, L. Jones, J. Langbein, J. Lin, E. Roeloffs, R. Simpson, K. Stark, R. Stein,J. C. Tinsley, Preliminary Report on the 22 December 2003 M6.5 San Simeon,California, Earthquake, Seism. Res. Lett.,75, 155-172, 2004.
46. Kayen, R., E. Thompson, D. Minasian, R. E. S.Moss, B. D. Collins, N. Sitar, D. Dreger and G. Carver (2004). GeotechnicalReconnaissance of the 2002 Denali Fault, Alaska, Earthquake, Earthquake Spectra, 20, 3, 639-667.
45. Dreger, D., D. D. Oglesby, R. A. Harris, N. Ratchkovski and R. Hansen (2004). Kinematic and dynamic rupture models of the November 3, 2002 Mw7.9 Denali, Alaska,earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 31,L04605, doi:10.1029/2003GL018333.
44. Gee, L., D. Neuhauser, D. Dreger, R. Uhrhammer, M. Pasyanos, and B. Romanowicz, 2003, The RapidEarthquake Data Integration Project, International Handbook of Earthquake andEngineering Seismology, Volume 81B, p 1261-1273.
43. Dreger, D. S., 2003,TDMT_INV: Time Domain Seismic Moment Tensor INVersion, International Handbook of Earthquake and Engineering Seismology, Volume 81B, p 1627.
42. Wang, C.-Y., D. S.Dreger, C.H. Wang, D. Mayeri, and J. Berryman, 2003, Field relations among coseismic ground motion, water level change and liquefaction for the 1999 Chi-Chi(Mw=7.5) earthquake, Taiwan, Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(17), 1890, doi:10.1029/2003GL017601.
41. Antolik, M. and D.Dreger, 2003, Rupture process of the 26 January 2001 M (sub w) 7.6 Bhuj, India,earthquake from teleseismic broadband data, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 93,1235-1248.
40. Baise, L. G., S. D.Glaser, and D. Dreger, 2003, Site response at Treasure and Yerba Buena Islands, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol.129, no.5,pp.415-426.
39. Roumelioti, Z., D.Dreger, A. Kiratzi, and N. Theodoulidis, 2003, Slip distribution of the 7September 1999 Athens earthquake inferred from an empirical Green's function study, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 93, 775-782.
38. Baise, L. G., D. Dreger, and S. D. Glaser, 2003, The effect of shallow San Francisco Bay sediments on waveforms recorded during the M (sub w)4.6 Bolinas, California, earthquake Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 93, 465-479.
37. Dreger, D., and B. Woods, 2002, Regional distance seismic moment sensors of nuclear explosions, Tectonophysics, vol.356, no.1-3, pp.139-156
36. Chi,Wu-Cheng and Douglas Dreger (2002), Finite FaultInversion of the September 25, 1999 (Mw=6.4) Taiwan Earthquake: Implications for GPS displacements of Chi-Chi, Taiwan Earthquake Sequence, GeophysicalResearch Letters, Vol. 29, no. 14, doi: 10,1029/2002GL015237.
35. Tajima,F., C. Megnin, D. Dreger, B. Romanowicz (2002) Feasibility of real-time broadband waveform inversion for simultaneous moment tensor and centroid location determination, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., vol.92, no.2, pp.739-750.
34. Kaverina,A., D. Dreger, and E. Price (2002) The combined inversion of seismic and geodetic data for the source process of the 16 October 1999 M (subw) 7.1 Hector Mine, California, Earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., vol.92,no.4, pp.1266-1280.
33. Chi, W.C., D. Dreger, and A. Kaverina (2001) Finite-source modeling of the 1999 Taiwan (Chi-Chi) earthquake derived from a dense strong-motion network, Dedicated issue on the Chi-Chi, Taiwan earthquake of 20 September1999, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., vol.91, no.5, pp.1144-1157.
32. Panning,M., D. Dreger and H. Tkalcic (2001). Near-source velocity structure and isotropic moment tensors: a case study of the Long Valley Caldera, Geophys.Res. Lett., 28, 1815-1818.
31. Uhrhammer, R. A., D. Dreger and B. Romanowicz (2001). Best practice in earthquake location using broadband three-component seismic waveform data, Pure Appl. Geophys., 158, 259-276.
30. Dreger, D. S., H. Tkalcic, and M. Johnston (2000). Dilational processes accompanying earthquakes in the Long Valley Caldera, Science, 288, 122-125.
29. Dreger, D., and A. Kaverina (2000). Seismic remote sensing for the earthquake source process and near-source strong shaking: A case study of the October 16,1999 Hector Mine earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 1941-1944.
28.Parsons, T., and D. S. Dreger (2000). Static-stress impact of the 1992 Landers earthquake sequence on nucleation and slip at the site of the 1999 M=7.1 Hector Mine earthquake, southern California, Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 1949-1952.
27. Antolik, M., A. Kaverina, and D. Dreger (2000). Compound rupture of the great1998 Antarctic Plate earthquake, J. Geophys. Res., V105, 23,825-23,838.
26. Fukuyama, E., and D. Dreger (2000). Performance test of an automated moment sensor determination system for the future "Tokai" earthquake, EarthPlanets Space, 52, 383-392.
25. Antolik, M., D.S. Dreger, and B. Romanowicz (1999). Rupture processes of large deep-focus earthquakes from inversion of moment rate functions, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 863-894.
24. Stidham, C., M. Antolik, D. Dreger, S. Larsen, and B. Romanowicz (1999).Three-Dimensional Structure Influences on the Strong Motion Wavefield of the1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 89, 1184-1202
23. Uhrhammer, R., L. Gee, M. Murray, D. Dreger, and B. Romanowicz (1999). TheMw5.1 San Juan Bautista Earthquake of 12 August, 1998, Seism. Res. Let., 70,10-18.
22. Kaverina, A., D. Dreger, and M. Antolik (1998). Source process of the 21 April,1997, Santa Cruz Island Earthquake (Mw 7.8), Geophys. Res. Lett., 25,4027-4030.
21. Dreger, D. and B. Savage (1998). Aftershocks of the 1952 Kern County,California, Earthquake Sequence, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 89, 1094-1108.
20. Fukuyama, E., M. Ishida, D. Dreger, and H. Kawai (1998), Automated Seismic Moment Tensor Determination by Using On-line Broadband Seismic Waveforms, Zishin, 51, 149-156 (in Japanese with English abstract).
19. Dreger,D., R. Uhrhammer, M. Pasyanos, J. Franck, and B. Romanowicz (1998), Regional and Far-Regional Earthquake Locations and Source Parameters using SparseBroadband Networks: A Test on the Ridgecrest Sequence, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.,88, 1353-1362.
The following were published or were in press at the time of my faculty hire to Assistant Professor.
18. Dreger, D. (1997), The Large Aftershocks of the Northridge Earthquake and their Relationship to Mainshock Slip and Fault Zone Complexity, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am.,87, 1259-1266.
17. Antolik, M., D. Dreger, and B. Romanowicz (1996), Finite Fault Source Study of the Great 1994 Deep Bolivia Earthquake, Geophys Res. Lett., 23, 1589-1592.
16. Gee, L. S., D. S. Neuhauser, D. S. Dreger, M. Pasyanos, R. A. Uhrhammer, and B. Romanowicz (1996), Real-Time Seismology at UC Berkeley: The Rapid Earthquake Data Integration Project, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 86, 936-945.
15. Pasyanos, M. E., D. S. Dreger, and B. Romanowicz (1996), Towards Real-Time Determination of Regional Moment Tensors, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 86, 1255-1269.
14. Dreger, D., J. Ritsema, and M. Pasyanos (1995), Broadband Analysis of the 21September, 1993, Klamath Falls Earthquake Sequence, Geophys. Res. Lett., 22,997-1000.
13. Hough, S. E., D. S. Dreger (1994), Source Parameters of the 4/22/92 M6.1 Joshua Tree, California Earthquake and its Aftershocks: Empirical Green's Function Analysis of GEOS and TERRAscope Data, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 85, 1576-1590.
12. Dreger, D. (1994), Empirical Green's Function Study of the January 17, 1994 Northridge, California Earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 21, 2633-2636.
11. Dreger, D. S. (1994), Investigation of the Rupture Process of the 28 June 1992Landers Earthquake Utilizing TERRAscope, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 84, 713-724.
10. Saikia,C. K., D. S. Dreger, and D. V. Helmberger (1994), Modeling of EnergyAmplification Recorded within Greater Los Angeles Using Irregular Structure,Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 84, 47-61.
9. Dreger, D. S., and D. V. Helmberger (1993), Determination of Source Parameters at Regional Distances with SingleStation or Sparse Network Data, Journ. Geophys. Res., 98, 8107-8125.
8. Romanowicz, B. D. Dreger, M .Pasyanos, and R. Urhammer (1993). Monitoring of Strain Release in Central andNorthern California Using Broadband Data, Geophys. Res. Let., 20, 1643-1646.
7. Helmberger, D., D. Dreger, R. Stead,and H. Kanamori (1993). Impact of Broadband Seismology on the Understanding ofStrong Motions, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 83, 830-850.
6. Kanamori, H., H. Thio, D. Dreger, E. Hauksson, T. Heaton (1992). Initial Investigation of the Landers,California Earthquake of 28 June 1992 Using TERRAscope, Geophys. Res. Lett., 192267-2270.
5. Helmberger, D. V., L. S. Zhao, D.Dreger and V. LeFevre (1992). Exploration of the lower lithosphere;northeastern United States, Phys. Earth Plan. Int., 70 22-38.
4. Helmberger, D. V., R. Stead, P.Ho-Liu, and D. Dreger (1992). Broadband Modeling of Regional Seismograms;Imperial Valley to Pasadena, Geophys. J. Int., 110 42-54.
3. Dreger, D. S., and D. V. Helmberger (1991). Source Parameters of the Sierra Madre Earthquake from Regional andLocal Body Waves, Geophys. Res. Let., 18 2015-2018.
2. Dreger, D. S., and D. V. Helmberger (1991). Complex Faulting Deduced from Broadband Modeling of the 28 February1990 Upland Earthquake (ML=5.2), Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 81 1129-1144.
1. Dreger, D. S., and D. V. Helmberger (1990). Broadband Modeling of Local Earthquakes, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 801162-1179.
1. Bolt, B.A., and D. S. Dreger (2005). The nature of earthquakes and seismic hazard, inDesigning for Earthquakes to be published by EERI, 56 pgs.