Hosts: Daniel Stolper and Don DePaolo
I am a geochemist and climate scientist working on the water and carbon cycles in terrestrial environments. My work includes studying the response of past and present terrestrial landscapes to changes in climate using modeling approaches, geochemical measurements, and field observations. Broadly, I am interested in the role that Earth's continents play in modulating habitable surface conditions over geologic time and in using sediments to reconstruct past changes in weathering and hydrologic fluxes over Plio-Pleistocene to Phanerozoic timescales.
Forthcoming Publications (*=equal contribution)
42. *DE Ibarra, *JG Dai, *Y Gao, XH Lang, PZ Duan, ZJ Gao, JQ Chen, K Mether, LJ Sha, H Tong, X Han, DC Zhu, YL Li, JX Tang, H Cheng, CP Chamberlain, CS Wang, Submitted, A high elevation southern Tibet prior to India-Asia collision.
41. YC Liu, DE Ibarra, MJ Winnick, JK Caves Rugenstein, JL Druhan, In Revision, The impact of moisture-sensitivity on respiration rate and atmospheric pCO2 estimates from soil/paleosol carbonate carbon isotopes.
40. H Huang, Y Gao, C Ma, MM Jones, C Zeeden, DE Ibarra, HC Wu, CS Wang, In Revision, Non-linear orbital pacing of organic carbon burial by a ~173 kyr obliquity cycle in middle-high latitudes.
39. O Pourret, DW Hedding, DE Ibarra, DE Irawan, HY Liu, J Tennant, In Review, International disparities in open access practices in the Earth Sciences.
38. CK Boyce, DE Ibarra, MP Nelsen, MP D'Antonio, In Revision, Paleozoic coal shaped the evolution of Mesozoic ecosystems and nitrogen-based symbioses.
37. CS Wang, Y Gao, DE Ibarra, HC Wu, PJ Wang, Accepted, Scientific Drilling through the age of Dinosaurs: complete retrieval of a continuous terrestrial Cretaceous sequence in the Songliao Basin, NE China, AGU EoS.
36. X Tian, Y Gao, T Kukla, O Lenz, He Huang, DE Ibarra, SL Sun, CS Wang, Accepted, Early Cretaceous solar cycles recorded in lacustrine laminations in North China, American Journal of Science.
36. DE Ibarra, PLM Tolentino, CPC David, Accepted (Revised), Technical Note: Evaluation and bias correction of an observations-based global runoff dataset using historical streamflow observations from small tropical catchments in the Philippines. Discussion paper at Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions. doi: 10.5194/hess-2020-26.
Publications as a UC Berkeley Postdoc
35. Y Gao, YF Gao, DE Ibarra, XJ Du, T Dong, ZF Liu and CS Wang, 2021, Clay mineralogical evidence for mid-latitude terrestrial climate change from the latest Cretaceous through the earliest Paleogene in the Songliao Basin, NE China, Cretaceous Research, 104827. doi: 10.1016/j.cretres.2021.104827
34. CP Chamberlain, DE Ibarra, T Kukla, K Methner, Y Gao, 2021, Triple Oxygen Isotope Paleoaltimetry of Crystalline Rocks, Frontiers in Earth Science. doi: 10.3389/feart.2021.633687
33. Y Gao, DE Ibarra, JK Caves Rugenstein, JQ Chen, T Kukla, K Methner, YF Gao, H Huang, ZP Lin, LM Zhang, DP Xi, HC Wu, AR Carroll, SA Graham, CP Chamberlain, CS Wang, 2021, Terrestrial climate in mid-latitude East Asia from the latest Cretaceous to the earliest Paleogene: A multiproxy record from the Songliao Basin in northeastern China, Earth-Science Reviews, 103572. doi: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2021.103572
32. DE Ibarra, T Kukla, KA Methner, A Mulch, CP Chamberlain, 2021Reconstructing Past Elevations from Triple Oxygen Isotopes of Lacustrine Chert: Application to the Eocene Nevadaplano, Elko Basin, Nevada, USA, Frontiers in Earth Science. doi: 10.3389/feart.2021.628868
31. T Kukla, DE Ibarra, JKC Rugenstein, JT Gooley, CE Mullins, S Kramer, DY Moragne, CP Chamberlain, 2021, High-resolution Stable Isotope Paleotopography of the John Day region, Oregon, USA, Frontiers in Earth Science, 9, 635181. doi: 10.3389/feart.2021.635181
30. DR Lowe*, DE Ibarra*, N Drabon, CP Chamberlain, 2020, Constraints on surface temperatures 3.4 billion years ago based on triple oxygen isotopes of cherts from the Barberton Greenstone Belt, South Africa, American Journal of Science, 320 (9), 790-814. doi: 10.2475/11.2020.02
29. J Zhong, SL Li, DE Ibarra, H Ding, CQ Liu, 2020, Insights into solute production and transport processes in large Chinese rivers from concentration-discharge relationships, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 34 (9), e2020GB006541. doi: 10.1029/2020GB006541
28. DE Penman, JK Caves, DE Ibarra, and MJ Winnick, 2020, Silicate weathering as a feedback and forcing on Earth’s climate and the carbon cycle, Earth-Science Reviews, 209, 103298. doi: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2020.103298
27. CP Chamberlain*, DE Ibarra*, MK Lloyd, T Kukla, Y Gao D Sjostrom, ZD Sharp, 2020, Triple oxygen isotopes of meteoric hydrothermal systems - implications for paleoaltimetry, Geochemical Perspectives Letters, 15, 6-9. doi: 10.7185/geochemlet.2026
26. L Santi*, AJ Arnold*, DE Ibarra*, C Whicker, JA Mering, JM Lora, A Tripati, 2020 (In Press Online), Clumped Isotope Constraints on Changes in Hydroclimate in the Northwest Great Basin: Lake Surprise, California, Geological Society of America Bulletin. doi: 10.1130/B35484.1
25. H Huang, Y Gao, MM Jones, HF Tao, AR Carroll, DE Ibarra, HC Wu, CS Wang, 2020, Astronomical forcing of Middle Permian terrestrial climate recorded in a large paleolake in northwest China, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 550, 109735. doi: 10.1016/J.PALAEO.2020.109735
24. MP D'Antonio*, DE Ibarra*, CK Boyce, 2020, Land plant evolution decreased, rather than increased, weathering rates, Geology, 48 (1), 29-33. doi: 10.1130/G46776.1
23. J Lora, and DE Ibarra, 2019, The North American hydrologic cycle through the last deglaciation, Quaternary Science Reviews, 226, 105991. doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2019.105991 (Preprint doi: 10.31223/osf.io/8q5kz)
22. JK Caves Rugenstein, DE Ibarra, F von Blanckenburg, 2019, Neogene cooling driven by land surface reactivity rather than increased weathering fluxes, Nature 571 (7767), 99-102. doi: 10.1038/s41586-019-1332-y
Publications Prior to UC Berkeley
21. TJ Kukla, MJ Winnick, K Maher, DE Ibarra, CP Chamberlain, 2019, The sensitivity of terrestrial δ18O gradients to hydroclimate evolution. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 124 (2), 563-582. doi: 10.1029/2018JD029571
20. DE Ibarra*, JK Caves Rugenstein*, A Bachan*, A Baresch, KV Lau, DL Thomas, JE Lee, CK Boyce, CP Chamberlain, 2019, Modeling the consequences of land plant evolution on silicate weathering, American Journal of Science 319, 1-43. doi: 10.2475/01.2019.01
19. AE Egger, DE Ibarra, R Weldon, RM Langridge, B Marion, J Hall, 2018, The influence of pluvial lake cycles on earthquake recurrence in the northwestern Basin and Range, USA, in From Saline to Freshwater: The Diversity of Western Lakes in Space and Time, edited by SW Starratt and MR Rosen, Geological Society of America Special Paper Series 536-07, 28. doi: 10.1130/2018.2536(07)
18. DE Ibarra, JL Oster, MJ Winnick, JK Caves Rugenstein, MP Byrne, CP Chamberlain, 2018, Warm and cold wet-states in the western United States during the Pliocene-Pleistocene, Geology, 46 (4), 355-358. doi: 10.1130/G39962.1
17. NW Hermann, JL Oster, DE Ibarra, 2018, Spatial Patterns and Driving Mechanisms of Mid-Holocene Hydroclimate in Western North America, Journal of Quaternary Science, 33 (4), 421-434. doi: 10.1002/jqs.3023
16. MM Jones, DE Ibarra, Y Gao, BB Sageman, D Selby, CP Chamberlain, SA Graham, 2018, Evaluating Late Cretaceous OAEs and the influence of marine incursions on organic carbon burial in an expansive East Asian paleo-lake, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 484, 41-52. doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2017.11.046
15. AS Wymore, RL Brereton, DE Ibarra, K Maher, WH McDowell, 2017, Critical zone structure controls concentration-discharge relationships and solute generation in forested tropical montane watersheds, Water Resources Research, 53 (7), 6279-6295. doi: 10.1002/2016WR020016
14. DE Ibarra, S Moon, JK Caves, CP Chamberlain, K Maher, 2017, Concentration-discharge patterns of weathering products from global rivers, Acta Geochemica, 36 (3), 405-409. doi: 10.1007/s11631-017-0177-z
13. JK Caves, BU Bayshashov, A Zhamangara, AJ Ritch, DE Ibarra, DJ Sjostrom, HT Mix, MJ Winnick, CP Chamberlain, 2017, Late Miocene uplift of the Tian Shan and Altai and reorganization of Central Asia climate, GSA Today, 17 (2). doi: 10.1130/GSATG305A.1
12. Y Tong, DE Ibarra, JK Caves, T Mukerji, SA Graham, 2017, Constraining basin thermal history and petroleum generation using paleoclimate data in the Piceance Basin, Colorado, Basin Research, 29 (4), 542-553. doi: 10.1111/bre.12213
11. JK Caves, DY Moragne, DE Ibarra, BU Bayshashov, Y Gao, MM Jones, A Zhamangara, AV Arzhannikova, SG Arzhannikov, CP Chamberlain, 2016, The Neogene de-greening of Central Asia, Geology, 44 (11), 887-890. doi: 10.1130/G38267.1
10. DE Ibarra, JK Caves, S Moon, DL Thomas, J Hartmann, CP Chamberlain, K Maher, 2016, Differential weathering of basaltic and granitic catchments from concentration-discharge relationships, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 190, 265-293. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2016.07.006
9. HT Mix, DE Ibarra, A Mulch, SA Graham, CP Chamberlain, 2016, A hot and high Eocene Sierra Nevada, Geological Society of America Bulletin, 128 (3-4), 531-542. doi: 10.1130/B31294.1
8. DE Ibarra and CP Chamberlain, 2015, Quantifying closed-basin lake temperature and hydrology by inversion of oxygen isotope and trace element paleoclimate records, American Journal of Science, 315 (9), 781-808. doi: 10.2475/09.2015.01
7. Y Gao, CS Wang, ZF Liu, XJ Du, DE Ibarra, 2015, Diagenetic and paleoenvironmental controls on Late Cretaceous clay minerals in the Songliao Basin, northeast China, Clays and Clay Minerals, 63 (6), 469-484. doi: 10.1346/CCMN.2015.0630605
6. F von Blanckenburg, J Bouchez, DE Ibarra, K Maher, K, 2015, Stable runoff and weathering fluxes into the oceans over Quaternary climate cycles, Nature Geoscience, 8 (7), 538-542. doi: 10.1038/ngeo2452
5. JL Oster, DE Ibarra, MJ Winnick, K Maher, 2015, Steering of westerly storms over western North America at the Last Glacial Maximum, Nature Geoscience, 8 (3), 201-205. doi: 10.1038/ngeo2365.
4. Y Gao, DE Ibarra, CS Wang, JK Caves, CP Chamberlain, SA Graham, HC Wu, 2015, Mid-latitude terrestrial climate of East Asia linked to global climate in the Late Cretaceous, Geology, 43 (4), 287-290. doi: 10.1130/G36427.1. (Reply to Comment: Y Gao, DE Ibarra, JK Caves, CS Wang, CM Huang, CP Chamberlain, SA Graham, HC Wu, 2016, Mid-latitude terrestrial climate of East Asia linked to global climate in the Late Cretaceous: REPLY, Geology, 44 (2), e379. doi: 10.1130/G37574Y.1)
3. DE Ibarra, AE Egger, KL Weaver, CR Harris, K Maher, 2014, Rise and fall of late Pleistocene pluvial lakes in response to reduced evaporation and precipitation: Evidence from Lake Surprise, California, Geological Society of America Bulletin, 126 (11-12), 1387-1415. doi: 10.1130/B31014.1.
2. K Maher, DE Ibarra, JL Oster, DM Miller, JL Redwine, MC Reheis, JH Harden, 2014, Uranium isotopes in soils as a proxy for past infiltration and precipitation across the western United States, American Journal of Science, 314 (4), 821-857. doi: 10.2475/04.2014.01.
1. JL Oster, DE Ibarra, CR Harris, K Maher, 2012, Influence of eolian deposition and rainfall on the U-isotopic composition of soil water and soil minerals, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 88, 146-166. doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.04.004.
Associate Editor, American Journal of Science, 2019 to Present (will serve until 2023)
Advisory Council, EarthArXiv, 2017 to 2020
Ph.D. Earth System Science, Stanford University, 2013-2018. Dissertation: Paleoclimate constraints on terrestrial hydroclimate, silicate weathering, and the carbon cycle
M.S. Geological and Environmental Sciences, Stanford University, 2012-2014. Thesis: Applying uranium-series isotope geochemistry and geochronology to Great Basin Pleistocene paleohydrology
B.S. Geological and Environmental Sciences (with Honors), Stanford University, 2008-2012. Senior Honors Thesis: An assessment of late Pleistocene to middle Holocene lake level fluctuations in Surprise Valley, California
B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering (Atmosphere/Energy), Stanford University, 2008-2012
Postdoctoral Scholar - Fellow, Miller Institute Research Fellow and President's Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth and Planetary Sciences Dept., University of California, Berkeley, 07/2019 to Present
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry Laboratory, Geological Sciences Dept., Stanford University, 06/2018 to 06/2019
Visiting Scientist, Earth Surface Geochemistry (Section 3.3), Helmholtz Centre Potsdam, GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, 06-08/2016
Laboratory Research Assistant, ICP-MS/TIMS Facility, School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University, 04-09/2012
Sustainable Education Research Associate, Mineral Acquisition Partners (MAP) Royalty Inc., Palo Alto, 05-08/2011
Awards and Fellowships
Balik Scientist (Short-Term Category), Republic of the Philippines, Department of Science and Technology, 2018-2019
National Science Foundation Earth Science Postdoctoral Fellow (EAR-PF), 2019 (award declined)
Editor’s Citation for Excellence in Refereeing, Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, 2017
On To The Future Diversity Scholarship, Geological Society of America, 2013
David E. Lumley Young Scientist Scholarship for Energy and Environmental Science, American Geophysical Union, 2011
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, Honorable Mention, 2011
University of California President's Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, 2019
Miller Research Fellow, Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2019
Graduate Student Award for Scholarly and Research Achievement, Earth System Science, Stanford University, 2018
Centennial Teaching Assistant Award, Stanford University, 2016
Enhancing Diversity in Graduate Education (EDGE) Fellowship, Stanford University, 2013-2018
Hoefer Fund Partnership Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Writing, Stanford University, 2013
Firestone Medal for Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Stanford University, 2012
Dean's Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Stanford University, 2012
Outstanding Senior in Geological and Environmental Sciences, Stanford University, 2012